The Pardon of Assisi at the Franciscan Convent of the Most Holy Trinity
This edition has not been confirmed by the organiser to date. We recommend checking before going.
The Forgiveness Festival is the most heartfelt religious event of the summer at the Convent of the Most Holy Trinity, in the municipality of Baronissi, in the province of Salerno, Campania. Every year, between August 1st and 2nd, the community of Friars Minor welcomes the faithful from the Irno Valley to celebrate the Pardon of Assisi, also known as the Porziuncola Indulgence: one of the oldest and most popular devotions in all of Franciscan spirituality.
According to Franciscan tradition, in 1216 Saint Francis obtained a plenary indulgence from Pope Honorius III for all those who, having repented and confessed, visited the small church of the Porziuncola, now housed within the Basilica of Saint Mary of the Angels in Assisi. Since then, the indulgence has been extended to all Franciscan churches and, by subsequent concession, also to parish churches: it can be obtained from noon on August 1st to midnight on August 2nd, under the usual conditions of sacramental confession, Eucharistic communion, a visit to the church with the recitation of the Creed and the Lord's Prayer, and prayer according to the Pope's intentions.
At the Baronissi convent, the celebration is concentrated into two days of almost uninterrupted prayer. According to the program usually released by the friars, on August 1st the church opens in the late afternoon and the day continues with Eucharistic exposition, the First Vespers of Saint Mary of the Angels at the Porziuncola, and the meditated Holy Rosary in the evening. On August 2nd, the church reopens early in the morning and remains open for the entire day, marked by Holy Masses, confessions, and the Angelus prayer at noon.
This is not a food fair or a street party: the Forgiveness is a devotional festival for the people, where the coming and going of the faithful—families, the elderly, parish groups—lasts non-stop for two days, with a continuous pilgrimage toward the altar of the conventual church. Those arriving from the city find a collected atmosphere, very different from the noisy patronal festivals that enliven the August in Campania.
The complex stands on a small hill called Monticello, in the Sava district of Baronissi. Franciscan sources attribute its foundation to Blessed Simon of Assisi around 1212, but certain historical documentation dates back to the mid-15th century, when the friars were already established there; historians place the actual birth of the monastery in the first decades of the 15th century, in the climate of reform linked to Saint Bernardino of Siena and Saint John of Capistrano. Damaged by a serious fire in 1532, passed from the Observants to the Reformed at the end of the 16th century, suppressed in 1866, and repurchased by the friars in 1892, the convent has spanned almost six centuries of history in the Irno Valley.
Today, the Most Holy Trinity is a true cultural hub for the area: alongside the religious life of the friars, there is the Museum of the Convent's Works, the "Peppino Impastato" municipal library and media library, the FRAC (Regional Contemporary Art Fund), the House of Poetry and Literature, and a conference hall. The monument is among the sites highlighted in FAI censuses, a testament to the affection the local community holds for it. For the visitor, the Forgiveness Festival thus becomes an opportunity to discover a historical and artistic heritage that would be a major tourist destination elsewhere.
Baronissi is located a few kilometers from Salerno, along the Irno Valley, the natural corridor connecting the coast to Irpinia. It is a territory of districts and ancient farmhouses where religious traditions still mark the calendar of the year. The Forgiveness at the beginning of August effectively opens the season of summer festivals in the Salerno area, and for many residents of Baronissi, it represents a family ritual passed down from generation to generation. A visit to the convent is easily combined with a day on the Amalfi Coast or discovering the historic center of Salerno, both a short distance away.
The 2026 edition of the Forgiveness Festival at the Convent of the Most Holy Trinity in Baronissi has not yet been officially announced. However, the solemnity of the Pardon of Assisi, or Porziuncola Indulgence, is a fixed liturgical recurrence in the Franciscan calendar, linked to August 1st and 2nd: it is therefore highly likely that the community of Friars Minor will open the conventual church to the faithful of the Irno Valley this year as well.
As per tradition, the plenary indulgence can be obtained from noon on August 1st to midnight on August 2nd, under the conditions provided by the Church: sacramental confession, Eucharistic communion, a visit to a Franciscan or parish church with the recitation of the Creed and the Lord's Prayer, and prayer according to the Pope's intentions.
To find out the exact times of the celebrations—church opening, Eucharistic exposition, First Vespers of Saint Mary of the Angels, meditated rosary, and Holy Masses—it is advisable to check the convent's Facebook page or call the friars directly. We will update this entry as soon as the program is made public.
Convent of the Most Holy Trinity, Via Convento 2, 84081 Baronissi (SA), Sava district. The complex stands on the Monticello hill, in the town center.
By car: Baronissi exit on the Salerno-Avellino motorway junction (A2/RA2), then follow signs for the center and the convent. By train: Salerno station, then local bus towards the Irno Valley. By plane: Naples-Capodichino airport about 60 km away, Salerno-Costa d'Amalfi airport about 25 km away.
Free and open participation in all celebrations. The plenary indulgence of the Porziuncola can be obtained from noon on August 1st to midnight on August 2nd. Confessions are available during the celebrations.
Phone: +39 089 878005. Updates and the final program are available on the convent's Facebook page.
Respectful clothing is required for the place of worship; parking is limited near the convent, so it is advisable to leave the car in town and walk up. The evening hours are the coolest and most evocative.
No photos yet. Share yours!
5 photos max, 5 MB per photo (JPG, PNG, WebP)
Help us keep this listing up to date. Every proposal is verified by our team before publication.
No rating yet — be the first!
No comments yet. Be the first!
Share your experience with the community.